- 500ml chicken stock, heated
- 340g jar smooth peanut butter
- 2 onion, halved and thinly sliced
Onions are endlessly versatile and an essential ingredient in countless recipes. Native to Asia…
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil
A variety of oils can be used for baking. Sunflower is the one we use most often at Good Food as…
- 3 tbsp finely chopped ginger
Mainly grown in Jamaica, Africa, India, China and Australia, ginger is the root of the plant. It…
- ½-1 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 3 tsp ground coriander
- 3 tsp ground cumin
- 1-2 scotch bonnet chillies, deseeded and chopped
- 2 bay leaf
- 400g can chopped tomato
- 2 x 800g pack chicken thighs and drumsticks, skinned
Chicken's many plus points - its versatility, as well as the ease and speed with which it…
- 3 sweet potato, cut into chunks
Sweet potatoes have a creamy texture and a sweet-spicy flavour that makes them ideal for savoury…
- 2 red pepper, deseeded and cut into chunks
- good handful coriander, chopped, a little reserved for sprinkling
- rice and lime wedges, to serve (optional)
The same shape, but smaller than…
Pour the hot stock over the peanut butter and stir until dissolved. Heat a very large pan and fry the onions in the oil for 5 mins to soften. Add the ginger, cayenne, if using, ½ tsp black pepper, coriander, cumin, chillies and bay and cook, stirring, for 2 mins.
Tip in the tomatoes and the peanut stock, then stir in the chicken pieces. Put a lid on the pan and leave to simmer for 30 mins, stirring frequently to make sure the peanut butter doesn’t stick to the base of the pan.
Stir in the sweet potatoes, peppers and chopped coriander, then cook for 30 mins more. Serve sprinkled with the reserved coriander, with rice and lime wedges for squeezing over, if you like.
Freezing in batches
Once cooled, you can freeze this stew for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge, or reheat gently from frozen in a large pan with a little water to stop it sticking as it melts. Cover the pan until thawed, then remove the lid and heat until bubbling to drive off the excess moisture.