Rotterdam beetroot (krootjes)
Member recipe by menecairiel
A family recipe from Rotterdam, Holland, this is a quick and tasty way for everyone to enjoy beetroots!
- 750 gram cooked beetroot
- 2 onions
- 1 teaspoon corn flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Roughly grate the beetroot.
- Put it in a large pan, no oil, and warm it up on a medium heat. There will naturally be some liquid from the beetroot.
- Add the corn flour and sugar coat the beet root. It will create a bit of a thicken liquid around it. This will take about five to ten minutes.
- Chop the onion relatively fine.
- Season the beetroot with salt and pepper after taste.
- Add half the raw onion to the beetroot and take off heat. Keep the rest of the onion on the table for those that prefer an extra onion kick! Serve with any meat. It is especially nice with meatballs, roasted meats or even just fried bacon!
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…