- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, thickly sliced
Onions are endlessly versatile and an essential ingredient in countless recipes. Native to Asia…
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 1 eating apple, peeled, cored and chopped into chunks
Grown in temperate regions, apples are one of the most widely cultivated tree fruits. There are…
- 3 tbsp balti curry paste (we used Patak’s)
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 large carrot, thickly sliced
The carrot, with its distinctive bright orange colour, is one of the most versatile root…
- 200g turnip, cut into chunks
Turnips are creamy-white with a lovely purple, red or greenish upper part where the taproot has…
- 1 medium cauliflower, weighing about 500g/1lb 2oz, broken into florets
A brassica, like cabbage and broccoli, cauliflower is a mass of tiny, tightly packed flower…
- 400g can chopped tomato
- 425ml hot vegetable stock
- 4 tbsp chopped coriander, plus extra to serve
- 150g pot low-fat natural yogurt
Want to see what this recipe costs at different supermarkets? Compare in one place here:
Heat the oil in a large pan, then add the onion, garlic and apple and cook gently, stirring occasionally, until the onion softens, about 5-8 minutes. Stir in the curry paste.
Tip the fresh vegetables into the pan and add the tomatoes and stock. Stir in 3 tbsp of the coriander. Bring to the boil, turn the heat to low, put the lid on and cook for half an hour.
Remove the lid and cook for another 20 minutes until the vegetables are soft and the liquid has reduced a little. There should be some liquid remaining, but not too much. Season with salt and pepper.
Mix 1 tbsp of coriander into the yogurt to make a raita. Ladle the curry into bowls, drizzle over some raita and sprinkle with extra coriander. Serve with the remaining raita and warm mini naan breads.
With different veg
Try different vegetables – shallots, broccoli, swede, sweet potatoes, peppers and mushrooms would go well together.
With a baked spud
This curry mixture makes a great low-fat filling for baked potatoes.