Spicy carrot and potato soup
Member recipe by west1871
A really simple, medium sweet spiced soup. This soup uses spices from the storecupboard. Excellent for a starter as can be made in advance and also freezes well.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and roughly chopped into chunks
- 2 sticks celery, roughly chopped
- 2 large baking size potatoes, peeled and chopped into chunks
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp hot chilli powder
- 800ml veg stock (made up with 2 stock cubes)
- pinch of salt and black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or casserole pan. Fry the chopped raw vegetables gently on a medium heat for about 5 minutes until slightly softened.
- Sprinkle over the cumin, coriander and chilli powder and stir into the veg, cook gently for another minute.
- Pour in the vegetable stock. Bring up to the boil and then simmer for 20 minutes until the veg is tender.
- Use a stick blender in the pan to blend the soup or transfer to a food processor and blend to a smooth consistancy. You may need to add more boiled hot water at this point if too thick.
- Taste and season as required with salt and pepper. Serve with crusty bread and a twist of black pepper.
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…