Chicken & Bacon Lasagne
Member recipe by profruitcake
An alternative to traditional lasagne with chicken, bacon and red pepper.
- FOR THE CHICKEN SAUCE
- 350g chicken, cut into small chunks
- Salt & pepper
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 4 rashers of unsmoked bacon
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, cut into small pieces
- 2 tbsp tomato Puree
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1 chicken stock cube
- FOR THE BECHAMEL SAUCE
- 600ml whole milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 50g butter
- 40g plain flour
- TOO FINISH
- Lasagne sheets
- Preheat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6.
- Season the chicken with salt & pepper and fry with garlic until the chicken is cooked but not browned. Set to one side.
- Fry the bacon & onion and once the onion is soft add the mushroom, pepper and cooked chicken. Add enough tomato puree to coat the chicken, then stir in the tomatoes. Add thyme & basil to taste, season and bring the sauce to the boil. Lower the heat and simmer with the lid on for 15-20 minutes until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Remove the lid and sprinkle in the stock cube. Simmer until the sauce has thickened further.
- To make the bechamel sauce: Put the milk in a saucepan with the bay leaf and bring to a simmer. Strain into a jug and rinse the pan out. Put the pan back on the heat and gently melt the butter, stir in the flour (use a wooden spoon or mini whisk) and cook for 1 minute, don't let the butter or flour brown at all. Take the pan off the heat and add the milk in 3 stages. At each stage beat or whisk the milk into the flour until it is completely smooth.
- Once the flour is all in, bring the mixture back up to a simmer, stirring all the time to stop any lumps forming. Once the mixture looks as if it won't thicken any more, simmer it for 5 minutes, stirring/whisking now and then, until it looks really glossy. If you do have a few lumps, just strain the lot through a sieve.
- But a layer of the chicken sauce into an overproof dish. Add a layer of lasagne, then 1/2 the bechamel sauce. Repeat this again and top with cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 30 mins until the cheese has gone golden. Leave to cool for 5 mins before serving.
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…