Points to remember
- Lay a large sheet of baking parchment on top of a sheet of foil.
- Brush the parchment with melted butter to stop it sticking.
- Fold a pleat in the centre of the foil and parchment to give the pudding room to expand as it cooks.
- Tie the foil onto the basin with string; wrap it twice to keep it tight. Use the remaining string to create a handle over the top of the pudding.
- Trim off the excess foil and parchment then tuck it underneath to create a watertight seal.
How to wrap and tie a steamed pudding
Making a string handle will help you remove the pudding from the pan once it’s cooked.