Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Lamb, Squash & Dill Casserole
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 4
Warming, winter casserole with an unusual, sweet flavour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 500g scrag end or neck fillet of lamb, chopped
- 800g butternut squash, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 medium onions, peeled & chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled & sliced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 200ml white wine
- 250ml beef stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon soft, brown sugar
- Salt & pepper
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons dried dillweed
- STEP 1Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the lamb and butternut quite quickly until the meat is browned. Transfer to a large casserole
- STEP 2Fry the onions & carrots in the same fat for 2 minutes, then stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Gradually stir in the wine & stock and bring to the boil, stirring frequently.
- STEP 3Add the tomato puree, sugar, plenty of salt & pepper & the dillweed and pour into the casserole. Mix well with the lamb & butternut
- STEP 4Cover the casserole and cook for 90 minutes at 180 degrees, stirring occasionally.
- STEP 5Remove from oven. If casserole appears runny then cook uncovered for a further 15 minutes at 200 degrees