Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Beef Shin Ragu
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
A slow cooked, comfort filled bowl of pasta.
- 400g Beef Shin
- 1 Onion
- 3 Carrots
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Tin Chopped Tomatoes
- 1tbs Chilli Flakes
- 1tsp Paprika
- 1 Beef Stock Cube
- 200ml Water
- Handful Spinach
- 4 Cups Pasta (I like to use Rigatoni)
- STEP 1Start by setting the oven to 120c.
- STEP 2Now, heat an oven proof bowl over a high heat. I use my cast iron pot.
- STEP 3Add a splash of oil and brown the meat. Try to add the meat in two stages as it allows the temperature of the pan to stay high and the meat will brown better for it.
- STEP 4Remove the browned meat and place to one side.
- STEP 5Dice the onion and the carrots into small pieces.
- STEP 6Add another splash of oil to the pan and reduce to a medium heat. Cook the onions until brown, be careful not to burn them. Then add the carrots and crush in the garlic. Cook for a couple of minutes to release the garlic smells. Then season with salt and pepper.
- STEP 7Add the spices and stock cube, then cover with the tinned tomatoes and water. Stir and bring to a simmer. Once simmering place in the oven for 3 hours.
- STEP 8Remove from the oven and remove the chunks of meat carefully. Then using a fork, shred the meat. (I remove the meat as it helps with portioning when serving, its much easier to make sure everyone gets the right amount of meat. There is nothing worse than only having a little and the person next to you has masses)
- STEP 9Add the spinach to the ragu, stir and cover to allow the spinach to wilt.
- STEP 10Cook your choice of pasta. Make sure to add a couple of tablespoons of the pasta water to the ragu, it helps make it glossy.
- STEP 11Once the pasta is cooked, drain and add to the ragu.
- STEP 12Then fold through the meat and ENJOY topped with plenty of cheese.