Quick and Simple Cookies
- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes 12-30 cookies
If you don't fancy using a bunch of posh ingredients or equipment but still require a sugar fix, these cookies are absolutely perfect! As well as tasting delicious, they also have an appealing crosshatch design which will make any of your friends think you're a professional! They are soft and chewy when they come out of the oven and the texture hardens overnight.
- 150g softened butter
- 160g caster or granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 225g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Pinch of salt (or 1/4 tsp)
- Pinch of cinnamon (or 1/4 tsp)
- STEP 1Preheat your oven to 190°C/fan 170°C/gas mark 5 and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper (line two trays if you would like smaller cookies).
- STEP 2Put the butter and sugar into a bowl and beat until creamy.
- STEP 3Beat in the vanilla extract and the egg.
- STEP 4Add in the flour, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon and the salt into the bowl and mix it in with a wooden spoon.
- STEP 5Use a tablespoon (or a teaspoon for smaller cookies) to make scoops of the mixture, spacing them well apart on the baking trays. This mixture should make about 12 large cookies or 30 small cookies.
- STEP 6Gently flatten the cookies and press a criss-cross/crosshatch pattern into them with the back of a fork.
- STEP 7Bake them in the oven for 8-10 minutes or until light brown and slightly soft in the middle when pressed.