Spiced orange cookies
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 16
Giant soft cookies bursting with fresh orange and a hint of spice- perfect hot out of the oven on a chilly winters day!
- 200g butter (softened)
- 350g self raising flour
- 300g light brown sugar
- 1 egg (large)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- 100g dark chocolate chunks
- STEP 1Cream together the sugar and butter in a large mixing bowl.
- STEP 2Grate one orange to collect the zest. Squeeze the juice of the excess orange into the mixture Crack in the egg, add the honey and stir to combine.
- STEP 3Sift in the flour, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add the zest of one orange and mix together thoroughly.
- STEP 4Mix in the chocolate chunks.
- STEP 5Put the mixture in the fridge for 2 hours to chill, if desired. This step is not essential, but will improve the texture and flavour of the cookies.
- STEP 6Set the oven to 200 degrees C. Spoon the mixture and roll into balls of your desired size.
- STEP 7Place the cookie dough balls on baking paper covered trays. Make sure to leave plenty of space for each cookie as they will grow a lot when baking.
- STEP 8Bake for 13 minutes and remove. Keep the cookies on the tray for a further 10-15 minutes as they will continue to bake outside of the oven. Do not attempt to transfer the cookies off the tray beforehand as they will still be a little sloppy before they firm up.