Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 12
ultimate cake for chocolate lovers everywhere. easy to make and store
- 115g plain flour
- 175g caster sugar
- 40g cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 egg
- 125ml milk
- 60ml oz vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 125ml boiling water
- STEP 1Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4. Grease and line two 20cm sandwich tins. (don't use springform as the mixture will be very runny)
- STEP 2Place all of the cake ingredients, except the water, into a large mixing bowl. Using a wooden spoon, or electric whisk, beat the mixture until smooth.
- STEP 3Add the boiling water to the mixture, a little at a time, until smooth. (The cake mixture will be very liquid.)
- STEP 4Divide the cake between the sandwich tins and bake for 25–35 minutes.
- STEP 5Remove the cakes from the oven and allow to cool completely before adding a frosting of your choice, alternatively serve warm with ice-cream