- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes 10
A popular dish in Hawaii. You can eat it anytime and for any occasion.
- 3 cups short grain rice
- 3 cups water
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 can cut spam
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 5 sheets nori seaweed, cut lengthwise in two
- STEP 1Rinse rice two to three times and drain well. In a rice cooker, combine rice and water. Soak for about 30 minutes and then turn on rice cooker to cook rice.
- STEP 2In a bowl, combine soy sauce and sugar and stir until sugar is dissolved. Set aside.
- STEP 3In a pan over medium heat, heat oil. Add Spam slices in a single layer and cook, turning once or twice, for about 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until slightly crisp. Add soy sauce-sugar mixture and continue to cook, turning Spam slices once or twice, until liquid is fully absorbed. Remove from pan.
- STEP 4Lay nori seaweed shiny side down on a flat working surface. Place musubi press in the center of the seaweed. Spoon about ⅔ cup of cooked rice into mold. Press down rice to pack tightly into about 1-inch thick. Pull up mold to release rice block.
- STEP 5Place a grilled Spam slice on top of block of rice. Fold one end of the seaweed over and tuck between the Spam and rice and then fold the other side of the seaweed over wrap around the rice and Spam. Moisten edge of seaweed to seal.