- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 30
Family brownie recipe that always delivers gooey brownies with a crisp outside. This recipe comes out best when using an old arm mixer like a kenwood, 2nd best would be to do in a large pan on a low hob. a modern magimix seems to make the texture less reliable
- Butter - 8oz
- Sugar - 16oz
- Vanilla Essence - 1/2 tbsp
- Eggs - 4 large
- Chocolate - 150-200g
- Flour - 4oz
- STEP 1Set a fan oven to 180 degrees Celcius. Allow the butter to soften and mix with sugar until light and smooth. In the meantime set a bowl over simmering water and melt the chocolate
- STEP 2add the vanilla essence
- STEP 3whisk the eggs until smoothe and add slowly. about a tablespoon at a time until incorporated to the mix. If you do it faster and it curdles it is not the end of the world as the flour should bind it again at the end, but you risk losing the gooeyness at the end
- STEP 4once the chocolate is melted take the bowl off the heat for a few minutes then add the chocolate to the mix
- STEP 5finally add the flower. fold it in first then only mix enough so that is just mixed in. do not over mix at this stage.
- STEP 6add the mix to a buttered dish (i go for about 30cm by 20 cm) and cook in the middle of the oven for 30-35 mins (if you put too high up it will crisp up the top). if you put your hand on the top it should wobble but not break apart.
- STEP 7allow to cool then cut and serve