Spiced Carrot & Spinach Soup
Member recipe by bexloubray
Spiced Carrot and Spinach Soup, great for cold evenings, snuggled up in front of the fire, best served with homemade flat breads (see my recipe)!
- 3 large Carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion peeled and chopped
- 1 potato peeled and chopped
- 1 thumb size piece of ginger grated/or 1 tsp minced ginger
- 2 cloves of garlic/ or 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 fresh red chilli/or 1/2 tsp minced chilli (optional)
- 160g frozen spinach/or 1 large bag of fresh spinach
- 1 tsp of ground coriander seeds
- 1 tsp of ground cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp of ground fennel seeds (optional)
- 1/2 tsp of turmeric (optional)
- 1.5 Litres veg stock
- 1 tbsp of sunflower/olive oil/ or other light oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in large saucepan, on a medium heat. Add onion and saute gently until softened, but not browned.
- Add carrot and potato, saute gently for a further 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic, ginger chilli and spices, saute for a further, stirring occasionally.
- Add spinach, cooked through for 5 minutes (wilt for 5 minutes if using fresh)
- Add stock, bring to the boil, cover and reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Blend smooth with hand whisk or in food processor
- Adjust seasoning if needed
- Serve with warm homemade flatbread (see recipe)