Southern Style Banana Bread
Member recipe by zetallgerman
ServingsServes 1 - 2 Loaves
When life gives you brown bananas, make banana bread! This recipe is moist, packed with flavour and not too sweet.
- 230g butter, unsalted
- 420g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 920g all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 fresh vanilla pod, seeds
- 6 large bananas, very ripe
- 220g walnuts, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Peel & mash the bananas (I use a potato masher - you'll see that they have a surprising amount of liquid in them!)
- Chop the walnuts (I like to chop half of them finely, the other half quite "chunky").
- Cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition.
- Sift all the dry ingredients together; add to creamed mixture.
- Stir in the mashed bananas and chopped nuts.
- Pour the dough into 2 well-greased loaf pans (or how about 1 loaf and 12 muffins?); for about 1 hour 15min (fan assisted) or 1 hour 45min (non fan-assisted), until a toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean.