Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Scottish Oat Cakes
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Makes Pieces
Savory oatcakes (or bannocks) are quintessentially Scottish. Perfect with some hearty cheese, smoked salmon & dill or chutney.
- 225g oats
- 60g wholewheat flour
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 60g butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 60-80ml hot water
- STEP 1Pre-heat the oven to 190C.
- STEP 2Mix together the oats, flour, salt, sugar and bicarbonate of soda.
- STEP 3Add the butter and rub together until everything is mixed and has the consistency of large bread crumbs.
- STEP 4Add the water (from a recently boiled kettle) bit by bit and combine until you have a somewhat thick dough. The amount of water varies; depending on the oats.
- STEP 5Sprinkle some extra flour and oats on a work surface and roll out the dough to approx. 1/2cm thickness. Use a cookie cutter to cut out shapes (the final number of oatcakes depends - of course - on the size of cutter you use.
- STEP 6In a wonderfully Scottish twist/coincidence I found that using an upturned whisky glass makes the perfect size :-)
- STEP 7Place the oat cakes on a baking tray and bake for appprox. 20-30mins. or until slightly golden brown.