Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Fresh Greek Tzatziki
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Plus minimum 2 hours cooling time
- Serves 4
Garlic Lovers Unite! Why buy bland, watery Tzatziki when making your own is so simple? This Greek yogurt sauce is a perfect accompaniment to the grilled meats & fish of a summer BBQ!
- 350g Greek yogurt (or plain full-fat yogurt)
- 2 large cucumbers
- 2-3 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- a handful of fresh mint leaves (optional)
- STEP 1For creamy Tzatziki with perfect consistency we need to avoid any excess water. The best result is achieved by peeling and de-seeding the cucumber. Then either grate of finely slice (with a vegetable peeler) and hang the cucumber in a cloth or a tea towel to squeeze out all excess liquid.
- STEP 2Combine the yogurt, cucumber, lemon juice and garlic.
- STEP 3Add a dash of olive oil and some salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- STEP 4Sprinkle with the paprika powder.
- STEP 5Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours for the flavours to fully develop.
- STEP 6(Optional: just before serving roughly chop a bunch of fresh mint leaves and sprinkle on top.)