Spiced Pumpkin Shortbread
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 14
Easy to make and perfect for Halloween! I used gel food colouring but liquid should be fine-you just may not need any milk
- 100g butter, chilled
- 75g caster sugar
- 175g plain flour
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 1/2tsp nutmeg
- 1/2tsp mixed spice
- Orange food colouring
- Whole cloves
- 2tsp milk (optional)
- STEP 1Preheat the oven to 160degrees/140fan Grease a large baking sheet
- STEP 2Mix together the flour, sugar and spices Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs
- STEP 3Add a dollop of food colouring and knead the mixture until it forms a dough, add a little milk if needed. At this stage add more food colouring to reach your desired colour
- STEP 4Take a heaped teaspoon of dough and roll it into a ball, Mark vertical lines in the side of the ball to form a pumpkin shape, go quite deep to prevent the lines fading out while cooling.
- STEP 5Place a clove into the top of each ball and place it onto the tray. Continue until all the dough has been used up
- STEP 6Bake for around 35minutes or until the biscuits are firm and the bases have darkened, if baked too little they will be raw in the middle!
- STEP 7Leave to cool before enjoying!