Beef in Beer
Member recipe by beverley1471
ServingsServes 1 - 4 Portions
This is a very simple dish to prepair and tastes delicious with chips or mashed potatoes and veg. Its also a cheap cut of meat.
- 900g(2lb) Stewing steak.
- 400ml stout or best bitter
- 2/3 medium onions.
- 15g butter
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 bay leaf
- pre-heat the oven to 180c, 350F, gas mark 4. Cut the steak into large cubes (leave all fat as this will melt in cooking). and slice onions.
- Heat the butter and oil in a large casserole and cook the meat over a high heat for 10 minutes until browned and sealed.
- Remove steak and add onions, fry onions until they are transparent and then add the flour stiring allowing the flour to absorb the fat.
- return the meat to the casserole dish and add the beer, mustard, and bay leaf. Cover and cook in the oven for 2 1/2 hours or until tender and sauce has reduced and thickened. You can leave this in the oven for longer if you wish, or cook the day before and reheat.
- you can add a teaspoon of suger at step four if the beer you are using is quite bitter.