Banana Flower Salad
Member recipe by wild_card
Unearthed attempts a Guinness World Record with a 193 course meal. Here are some examples to enjoy.
- 100 g chicken breast or pork fillet, sliced
- 200 g green king prawns, shelled and
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 banana flower (about 200 g)
- 1 tbsp sliced shallots
- 2 tbsp cashews or peanuts, roasted and crushed
- Finely sliced long red chilli
- Fried shallots
- Handful of coriander leaves
- For the dressing:
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp grated palm sugar
- 1 tbsp roasted chilli paste
- 2 tsp Thai roasted chilli powder
- 3 tbsp coconut milk
- Bring 500 ml of water to the boil. Add the chicken / pork, reduce the heat to a simmer and poach for 5 minutes. Add the prawns and continue poaching for 3 minutes, until cooked through. Drain and set aside
- Pour the lime juice and 500 ml of water into a bowl. Cut the banana flower in half and remove the soft, pale heart from each half, discarding the outer leaves. Finely slice on the diagonal and add to the bowl. Soak for 5 minutes; the lime will prevent discolouring.
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a large bowl, stirring until the palm sugar dissolves. Drain the banana flower, gently squeeze out the excess water, and add to the dressing along with the poached chicken / pork and prawns, sliced shallots and cashews / peanuts. Mix well.
- Serve sprinkled with fresh chilli, fried shallots and coriander.
- Cooks tip, for added acidity to help offset the sweetness of the prawns torn segments of red grapefruit can also be added