Cheddar and Bacon Loaf Recipe
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- More effort
- Makes Slices
It's Sunday morning and you're reading the papers, savouring the lovely aroma of fried bacon as you wait for your Cheddar and bacon loaf to finish baking. This easy recipe only takes 40 minutes from start to finish, with no yeast or kneading involved - so enjoy.
Butter, for greasing
- 4 rashers streaky bacon
- 275g plain flour
- 1 level tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Pinch of English mustard powder
- 50g mature Cheddar, cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 large egg
- 225ml milk, plus 1 tbsp
- 2-3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- STEP 1Preheat the oven to 200C/fan180C/gas 6. Grease the base and sides of a 450g loaf tin and line the base with baking paper.
- STEP 2Snip the bacon into strips and dry-fry in a pan until crisp, then cool.
- STEP 3Meanwhile, put the flour, baking powder, salt and mustard powder into a bowl and stir. Add the cheese, bacon, egg, 225ml milk and parsley. Stir well with a wooden spoon until it has a soft dropping consistency ÃÂÃÂ¢ÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂ add extra milk, if needed.
- STEP 4Spread in the tin and bake for 25 minutes, until risen, golden brown and just firm to the touch. Serve warm or cold, with butter and cheese, if you like.