Spicy carrot and potato soup
Member recipe by west1871
A really simple, medium sweet spiced soup. This soup uses spices from the storecupboard. Excellent for a starter as can be made in advance and also freezes well.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and roughly chopped into chunks
- 2 sticks celery, roughly chopped
- 2 large baking size potatoes, peeled and chopped into chunks
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp hot chilli powder
- 800ml veg stock (made up with 2 stock cubes)
- pinch of salt and black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or casserole pan. Fry the chopped raw vegetables gently on a medium heat for about 5 minutes until slightly softened.
- Sprinkle over the cumin, coriander and chilli powder and stir into the veg, cook gently for another minute.
- Pour in the vegetable stock. Bring up to the boil and then simmer for 20 minutes until the veg is tender.
- Use a stick blender in the pan to blend the soup or transfer to a food processor and blend to a smooth consistancy. You may need to add more boiled hot water at this point if too thick.
- Taste and season as required with salt and pepper. Serve with crusty bread and a twist of black pepper.