basic ragu sauce
Member recipe by vstothard
this meat sauce can be served with spaghetti or transformed into a chilli, shepherd's pie or moroccan aubergine bake
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot finely chopped
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- small glass of milk
- large glass white wine
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- Heat oil in a large pan with a tight fitting lid. Add the onion, celery, carrot and fry for 5 mins until softened and lightly coloured.
- Tip in the beef, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, then fry over a high heat, until there are no traces of pink left and the grains of meat are separated. This will take about 10 mins.
- Reduce the heat a little, pour in the milk and simmer for a few mins until the milk has been absorbed.
- stir in the tomatoes, wine and tomatoe puree with some salt and pepper. reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and cook gently for 1 hour