Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 6
SAFFRON, PRESERVED LEMONS, APRICOTS, FLUFFY COUSCOUS & TOASTED ALMONDS
- 1 pinch of saffron
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 4 cm piece of ginger
- olive oil
- 1 teaaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ras el hanout
- 1 tablespoon sun-dried tomato paste
- 2.5 kg mixed veg , such as aubergines, courgettes, carrots, cherry tomatoes, red onion, butternut squash, mixed-colour peppers
- 1 x 400 g tin of chickpeas
- 100 g dried apricots
- 1 preserved lemon
- 300 g couscous
- ½ a bunch of mixed fresh herbs , such as dill, mint, flat-leaf parsley (15g)
- 20 g flaked almonds
- STEP 1Put the saffron into a jug, cover with 500ml of boiling water and leave to infuse.
- STEP 2Meanwhile, peel and finely slice the garlic and ginger, then place in a large casserole pan over a medium heat with 2 tablespoons of oil, the cumin, cinnamon and ras el hanout.
- STEP 3Add the tomato paste, fry for a few minutes, stirring regularly, then pour over the saffron water
- STEP 4Trim and prep the veg, as necessary, then chop into large chunks, adding them to the pan as you go.
- STEP 5Tip in the chickpeas (juices and all), roughly chop and add the apricots and preserved lemon, discarding any pips, then season with sea salt and black pepper.
- STEP 6Bring to the boil, cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 45 minutes, or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- STEP 7When the veg are almost tender, just cover the couscous with boiling water, season with salt and pepper and pop a plate on top. Leave for 10 minutes, then fluff and fork up.
- STEP 8Pick the herb leaves and toast the almonds. Serve the tagine and couscous sprinkled with the almonds and herbs.