Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Burmese Style Suckling Pig
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Pig has to be cooked for 12hours in the oven
- A challenge
- Serves 6
This recipe comes from Seu-Xerea - a famous restaurant in the heart of Valencia that is faithful to its roots of great Mediterranean food with an Asian twist. Owner Stephen Anderson, formally a South London Physics teacher, wanted to offer an alternative to the traditional Valencian restaurant offering Paella and tapas. The Burmese style suckling pig, a recipe that Seu-Xerea has been serving up for 13 years, comes with potatoes, rocket dressed in olive oil and lemon with hot sauce around the meat.
- 1 suckling pig cut into 6 portions (ribs, front and back legs)
- 2 l sunflower oil
- 10 star of anis
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 2 tbs fennel seeds
- 2 tbs cardamom
- 1 tbs cloves
- 25 g dried mandarin peel
For the sauce
- 200 g shallots chopped finely
- 100 g chopped ginger
- 8 cloves garlic
- 2 tbs sugar
- 50 ml sake
- 200 ml demiglace or beef stock
- 6 tbs soy sauce
- STEP 1Season the suckling pig with salt and pepper. Choose a deep tray in which the pig fits comfortably and can be covered with the oil.
- STEP 2Sprinkle the pig with spices and proceed to cover with the oil. Using greaseproof paper, a heavy frying pan and a little imagination, ensure the pork is completely submerged in the oil (you may need more oil if the tray you have chosen is much bigger than the pork).
- STEP 3Cook in the oven at 90C for 12 hours.
- STEP 4Remove from the oven and when cool enough to handle, gently pull the bones free from the meat.
- STEP 5Form a roll with each portion, with the skin on the outside and wrap tightly in cling film.
- STEP 6Refrigerate.
- STEP 7For the sauce:
- STEP 8Fry the shallots with the garlic and ginger.
- STEP 9Add the sugar, caramelizing a little without burning and then add the sake.
- STEP 10Boil vigorously for 3 mins.
- STEP 11Add the demiglace and reduce to half the original volume.
- STEP 12Strain.
- STEP 13Serving:
- STEP 14In a heavy frying pan, warm a little oil and brown the meat carefully on the outside until the skin is crunchy.
- STEP 15Finish reheating in a warm oven.
- STEP 16Serve the meat with boiled new potatoes and rocket dressed in olive oil and lemon.
- STEP 17Pour a little of the hot sauce around the meat.