Paella with chorizo & chicken
Member recipe by tweety_anja
- 1-2 tbsp oil, plus extra for cooking the paella
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts cut into very large chunks ( also works well with chicken wings & legs)
- 150g chorizo, in large chunks
- 2 gloves of garlic, peeled & chopped
- 2 pinches of paprika
- 150ml oloroso sherry (optional, or make up this amount with stock)
- 300g arborio rice
- pinch of saffron
- knob of butter
- 400ml chicken stock
- 1 large bunch of spring onions, trimmed & sliced
- 150g frozen pees
- fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- optional: 250g raw prawns, unpeeled
- Heat the oil in a large saute pan or frying pan. Season the chicken pieces, add to the pan and brown them well all over, adding more oil if necessary.
- Add the chorizo and fry for a further minute. Throw in the garlic and cook for a couple if minutes, then add the paprika. Take the pan off the heat to cool a little, then add half the sherry, if using.
- Return the pan to the heat and bring to the boil. Boil for a couple of minutes to drive off the strong alcoholic taste, then add the rice, saffron, butter and stock.
- Turn the heat down and leave to simmer for 30 minutes or so, until most of the liquid has been soaked up by the rice. Don't mix the rice as it will get that lovely crunchy layer on the bottom.
- Halfway through the cooking time, put the lid on the pan. If you are using a pan that does not have a lid, just place a flat baking tray over the top.
- Once the rice is cooked, take the pan off the heat. In another pan, fry the spring onions for a couple of minutes until they start to turn golden.
- If using: Now add the prawns until piping hot. Add the frozen peas and cook until they are defrosted.
- Take the pan off the heat for a minute or so to cool down. Add the remaining sherry to the prawns and peas and boil for a minute or so and then tip the contents into the rice and chicken mixture.
- Return the rice pan to the heat and cook for a minute or so until piping hot. Sparkle with parsley and serve with lime wedges.