Simple sourdough loaf
- Preparation and cooking time
- +14 hours proving time.
- Makes approx. 20 medium slices.
This fast and simple sourdough loaf recipe is perfect for beginners, when you don't know what to do with that sourdough starter
- 500g strong white flour, 500g strong wholemeal flour, 500g spelt flour or a mixture.
- 325ml hand-hot water.
- 175ml sourdough starter.
- 1 tbsp un-set honey.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for greasing.
- 2 tsp fast action died yeast.
- STEP 1Place the flour in a large mixing bowl, and then mix in the salt. Now mix in the yeast and make a well in the centre.
- STEP 2In a measuring jug, place the water and then the sour starter on top (this should float, but it doesn't matter if it doesn't). Now add the honey and olive oil, and mix well.
- STEP 3Pour the sour starter and water mixture into the flour, and mix well, until all the dough is the same texture.
- STEP 4Place your dough onto a floured surface, and knead for around 5-10 minutes, then shape into a sphere. Grease your mixing bowl, and place the dough in the centre, cover with a warm, damp tea-towel, and place in a warm place (Airing cupboards or the room/cupboard with the boiler in are best) re-dampening the tea towel if it dries out. Leave for 11 hours (until around 7:00 the next morning if ready for lunch.)
- STEP 5After 11 hours, take dough out and knead it once again (for around 5-10 minutes) and grease a 2lb (900g) loaf tin. Place dough in the 2lb loaf tin, and push down to spread dough to all four corners. Leave to prove for 3 hours.
- STEP 6Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 260'C/240'C fan. When the 3 hours has passed, cook the bread in the loaf tin for 30 minutes, covering with aluminium foil after the first 20 minutes. If the bread does not come out of the loaf tin when turned onto a wire cooling rack 2 or 3 times (Don't try to take it out upright) then cook for another 5 minutes with the aluminium foil on top, and turn onto a wire cooling rack, using the same method as before. Tap the bottom of the loaf, and if it sounds hollow, it is cooked.
- STEP 7Leave on a wire cooling rack for around 60-90 minutes, until the crust has fully cooled (don't attempt to slice before, or crust will tear). ENJOY!