Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes 1 litre of sloe gin
Sloe Gin- a very syrupy version
- Sloes 900g
- White Granulated Sugar 900g
- Gin 700ml
- Almond essence 2 tsp
- STEP 1Wash the sloes and either freeze and thaw, or prick- individually with a needle or sloe thorn or by rolling on a sheet of plywood bristling with panel pins
- STEP 2Add half the sloes to each of two empty 700ml gin bottles
- STEP 3Warm gin in a jug- microwave for 3 minutes- 4 minutes for a low-powered microwave. Add sugar, stir until dissolved.
- STEP 4Fill bottles with the gin/sugar mixture. Add a teaspoon of almond essence.
- STEP 5Put in a dark cool place and turn weekly for 3-6 months.
- STEP 6Strain through a muslin-lined sieve or cotton-wool lined funnel.
- STEP 7Store in a dark place to preserve the gorgeous ruby colour.
- STEP 8Drink neat, or topped up with gin and/or tonic.