Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Oreo Chocolate Cake
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Plus cooling
- Serves 12
A rich, moist chocolate sponge with oreo buttercream filling, topped with cookie crumble. Great for birthdays!
For the cake:
- 250g self raising flour
- 250g light brown soft sugar
- 50g cocoa
- 250g dark chocolate
- 250g butter
- 4 eggs
For the filling and topping:
- 154g pack of Oreo cookies
- 250g butter
- 3-400g sifted icing sugar
- few drops vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- STEP 1Preheat your oven to 160C/fan 140C/gas 3. Grease and line 2x20cm sandwich tins.
- STEP 2Mix the flour, sugar and cocoa together. Melt the chocolate and butter and 200 ml water together over a low heat, then beat this along with the eggs into the dry ingredients.
- STEP 3Pour into the two sandwich tins, and bake for approximately 40 mins, until well risen, and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Transfer to wire racks and allow to cool.
- STEP 4While the cake is cooling, make the buttercream. Beat the butter until creamy, then add 300g of the icing sugar and vanilla. Mix well. An electric mixer is really useful here! You may find the mixture a bit dry - if so, add a tablespoon of milk at a time. If the mixture is too wet, add a little more icing sugar.
- STEP 5Blitz all but one of the cookies in a food processor. Mix half of the cookie crumbs into the buttercream, and reserve the other half.
- STEP 6Spread the butter icing between the two cakes, and over the top of them when sandwiched together.
- STEP 7Sprinkle the remaining cookie crumbs over the top. You could add mini oreos to decorate of you like!
- STEP 8Eat the reserved cookie with a glass of milk, to reward yourself for all your hard work!