Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Banana Carrot and Date Muffins
- Preparation and cooking time
- 5 minutes cooling time
- Makes 12-16 muffins
The banana makes these muffins delicious and moist, the carrots are wholesome and the dates perfectly sweet. They freeze well and are best kept in the fridge.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup bran flakes
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 cup banana, mashed
- 1 cup carrot, grated
- 1 cup pitted dates, finely chopped or mashed
- 125 grams butter, melted
- STEP 1In a large bowl, sift the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Stir through the brown sugar, salt and bran flakes then make a well in the centre.
- STEP 2Finely chop or mash the dates. To mash the dates, place in a small saucepan with 1/4 cup of water. Bring the water to the boil then cook for 3-4 minutes, until they are soft and can be mashed easily with a fork.
- STEP 3Mix together the milk, egg, vanilla essence and mashed banana. Add to dry ingredients, with the dates, grated carrot and melted butter then stir until just combined.
- STEP 4Line a muffin tray with muffin cases and divide mixture evenly. Makes 12-16 muffins.
- STEP 5Bake at 220ºc for 18-20 minutes until golden. Remove from oven and leave in the muffin tray for a further 5 mintues then cool on a wire rack.