Massaman Beef Curry
Member recipe by thaitaste
This delicious curry is the perfect winter warmer - the potatoes within the curry makes it a meal in itself. Add cubed butternut squash and green beans to make it go a little further.
- 2 tbsp Thai Taste Rice Bran Oil
- 4 shallots, sliced
- 600g stewing steak, cubed
- 400ml Thai Taste Coconut Milk
- 4 tbsp Thai Taste Massaman Curry Paste
- 6 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 tbsp Thai Taste Fish Sauce
- 2 tsp Thai Taste Tamarind Paste
- 200ml water
- 1 tbsp Thai Taste Palm Sugar
- 75g natural peanuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- 300g baby new Charlotte potatoes, halved
- Wedge of lime, to serve
- Baby herbs to garnish
- Heat the oil in a large pan and add the shallots, cook until soft but not coloured.
- Remove from the pan, add a little more oil and cook the beef until lightly coloured (you may need to cook the beef in a few batches). Remove the cooked beef from the pan.
- Add 1 tbsp of the coconut milk to the pan and add the curry paste. Stir and cook for 3 minutes until all the aromas are released.
- Return the beef and shallots, stirring to coat the meat with the paste.
- Add the remaining coconut milk, cardamom, cinnamon, tamarind paste, water and palm sugar to the pan. Bring to a gentle simmer then cover and cook for 1½ hours.
- Add the potatoes and peanuts and cook for a further 30 minutes or until the meat and potatoes are tender.
- Serve sprinkled with the remaining peanuts, a wedge of lime and a generous sprinkling of baby herbs.