Chocolate and ginger rocks
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 10
A more indulgent rock cake that's easy to make.
- 200g self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1or 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 100g butter
- 80g granulated sugar
- 50g good quality dark chocolate coarsely chopped (or chocolate chips may be used)
- 50g stem ginger coarsely chopped
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- STEP 1Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Line an 11" x 15" baking sheet with baking parchment (you may have to use 2 baking sheets if you don't have one large enough as the dough will spread)
- STEP 2Place the flour, baking powder and ground ginger into a large bowl and whisk the ingredients together with a whisk or fork to make sure they are fully mixed. Add the butter, cut into small pieces to the flour mixture and rub in with your fingertips until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- STEP 3Stir in the sugar, then the chocolate and ginger pieces. Add the egg and sour cream and mix well with a wooden spoon to make a fairly firm dough. Using two spoons drop 10 spoonfuls of the mixture onto the baking sheet with a space between each to allow for spreading. Bake in the centre of the oven for 18-20 minutes until golden brown, then allow to cool on the tray.