- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- More effort
- Serves 8
Lasagne with spinach and buffalo mozzarella
- 25g (1oz) butter
- 3-4 tbsp plain flour
- 500ml (18fl oz) milk
- 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1.5kg (3lb 5oz) spinach leaves, washed
- 500g (1lb 2oz) ricotta
- 750g (1lb 10oz) buffalo mozzarella
extra virgin oil for drizzling
- 1 tbsp fresh marjoram or oregano leaves, chopped
- 150g (5.5oz) lasagne sheets
- 80g (3oz) freshly grated parmesan
- STEP 1Pre-heat oven to 200C/gas mark 6
- STEP 2Put butter in heavy bottomed pan over low to medium heat. Add flour and stir for a few minutes. Add milk and simmer before stirring. It will form a dense mass. Add another cup of milk and let it simmer but not boil, before stirring into floury mass. then add all milk gradually and nutmeg into cream-like consistency.
- STEP 3Put spinach in colander, pout boiling salted water till it wilts. Drain and pat to dry.
- STEP 4Break up ricotta roughly. Cut mozzarella into slices 0.5cm thick. Lightly drizzle olive oil over the bottom of ovenproof dish. Scatter a third of the spinach, sprinkle marjoram or oregano, add a third of mozzarella and ricotta, spoon bechamel over and then lasagne sheets. Do all the layers, top with bechamel.