Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
The BEST Chocolate Cake
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- More effort
- Serves 6
this is no ordinary chocolate cake, filled with caramel, strawberries and cream and draped in a rich chocolate sauce- it is indulgence in every slice!!
For the cake:
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup oil
- 6 eggs - seperated
- 2 cups flour
- 2Tbsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 60ml cocoa powder
For the icing:
- 2 slabs of milk chocolate
- 1 tub of double cream
for the filling:
- tin of caramel
- tub of cream
- 1/2 punnet of strawberries
- caster sugar
- STEP 1preheat your oven to 180 degrees celsius, place oil, sugar, warm water and egg yolks in a bowl and beat untill mixture is cool and smooth.
- STEP 2Sift flour, baking powder and cocoa 3 times and add to the oil mixture.
- STEP 3Whisk the eggwhites untill they just start forming soft peaks and fold in to the batter with a spatula.
- STEP 4Line the base of the cake tins with oiled grease proof paper and pour the batter into the 2 medium tins
- STEP 5bake in the oven for about 30 min or untill the cake is firm to the touch.
- STEP 6While the cake is in the oven, you can start with te icing and filling.
- STEP 7for the icing: break the pieces of chocolate into a microwave proof bowl and add a bit of the cream.
- STEP 8cook it in the microwave untill it melts- be carefull not to burn it.
- STEP 9Once the chocolate is melted add the rest of the cream and leave to cool.
- STEP 10for the filling:
- STEP 11whisk the cream untill its stiff peaked.
- STEP 12whisk the caramel untill its smooth.
- STEP 13dip the sliced strawberries in the caster sugar.
- STEP 14once the cake is done and cooled down, spread the caramel on the top of one then add the whipped cream and lastly the strawberries.
- STEP 15put the other cake on top.
- STEP 16take the chocolate sauce and pour it over the cake and smooth on edges with a spatula.