Balsamic Caramelised Onions
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 8
Slowly, slowly caramelised onions with a hint of balsamic vinegar
- 1tsp Oil
700g Onions, finely sliced (use red for a sweeter taste)
- 1tbsp Caster Sugar
- 1tsp Salt
- pinch Pepper
- 2tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- STEP 1Put all the ingredients apart from the vinegar in a slow cooker - or a very low oven or aga (50degreesC)
- STEP 2Let it cook all day - and all night if it needs it - untill the onions are soft and dark brown and reduced. If it is crisping the heat is too high. You may need to stirr it occasionally - but i usually just leave it.
- STEP 3Cook for the last half hour without a lid - to help it dry out a bit.
- STEP 4Stirr in the balsamic vinegar. Done!
- STEP 5I serve this with Lamb or Beef - but I also keep pots of it in the freezer to top homemade bread - or to put on puff pastry with brie.