Espresso Chocolate Cupcakes
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- A challenge
- Makes Cakes
a sophisticated cupcake frosted with chocolate ganache
- 2 shots espresso with 1-3/4 cups hot water (Americano), or substitute 2 cups hot strong coffee
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour (11-1/4 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- Frangelico Ganache * as follows
- 16 ounces high-quality semi-sweet chocolate, chopped into small pieces
- 1-1/2 cups heavy cream
- 6 tablespoons Frangelico hazelnut liqueur
- STEP 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners. In a small bowl, mix cocoa powder and Americano/coffee until it looks like a smooth chocolate sauce; set aside to cool.
- STEP 2In a large bowl or stand mixer, cream butter and sugars until nice and fluffy.
- STEP 3Add vanilla and eggs one at a time, beating well after each one. Slowly add flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt until batter and mix for 2 minutes.
- STEP 4Add chocolate-coffee sauce mixture and mix the cake batter for 3 minutes on medium-high or until the batter is smooth.
- STEP 5Fill each muffin cup until 2/3 full. Bake about 25 minutes.
- STEP 6Cool in pan for 5 minutes before removing and allow to cool on a wire rack.
- STEP 7Frost each cupcake with a heap of Frangelico chocolate ganache.
- STEP 8Frangelico Ganache; In a small saucepan, bring heavy cream to a boil and immediately turn heat off. Add chocolate to the cream, stirring constantly until chocolate ganache is smooth. Add Frangelico liqueur and allow ganache to cool.
- STEP 9Once your cupcakes are assembled you can decorate then with sprinkles or crumbled flake chocolate.