Kozani chicken with prunes, saffron and paprika
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
A warmly spiced chicken dish from Kozani, a part of Greece famous for its saffron. This simple stew of chicken thighs is brought to life with saffron, paprika and prunes.
- chicken thighs, 8 , skin removed
- saffron, pinch
- olive oil, 4 tbsp
- red onions, 3 thinly sliced
- sweet paprika,1½ tbsp
- prunes, 20 pitted
- pepper & salt to taste
- STEP 1Put the chicken thighs in a large saucepan with 1 litre water and the saffron. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and poach for 10–15 minutes. Drain, reserving the cooking liquid.
- STEP 2Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium-low heat and sweat the onion gently until very soft, about 10 minutes.
- STEP 3Add the paprika, cook for 2 minutes. Add the chicken thighs, about 700ml of the cooking liquid and the prunes. Season with the salt and pepper and simmer for about 20 minutes, until heated through.
- STEP 4If the sauce is very watery, remove the chicken, prunes and onions with a slotted spoon and keep warm while you reduce down the sauce, so that you have a small amount to spoon over each portion.
- STEP 5Serve with rice.