Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Plus cooling time
- Serves 6
A cake for the Golden Jubilee year!
For the Victoria sponge:
- 225g butter or margarine (softened)
- 225g caster sugar
- 225g self-raising flour
- 4 eggs
- Strawberry Jam
For the topping:
- 40g unsalted butter at room temperature
- 150g icing sugar
- a dash of milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 12-15 strawberries (quarted lengthways)
- 100g blueberries
- STEP 1Preheat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/Gas 4.
- STEP 2Grease and line two 20cm diameter circular sandwich cake tins.
- STEP 3Cream the butter and sugar until well-mixed, light and fluffy.
- STEP 4Add the eggs one at a time, stirring after each addition.
- STEP 5Sift the flour into the mixture and fold in carefully.
- STEP 6Once all the flour is incorporated and the mixture is smooth, pour equal amounts of the mixture into each cake tin and bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until golden on top and springing back when lightly touched.
- STEP 7Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tins for 15 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- STEP 8Meanwhile make a vanilla frosting by beating the butter, icing sugar and vanilla extract with an electric hand mixer on a low speed until the mixture comes together, add a small dash of milk if the mixture is too dry. Once the mixture has come together, turn the mixer up to a high speed and beat for at least five minutes until light and airy.
- STEP 9When the cake is cool, spread the bottom sponge with a generous amount of jam, taking care not to fill right to the edges. Spread the top sponge with frosting and arrange the fruit in a union jack pattern (as shown in the picture). Carefully put the finished top layer on to the bottom layer and enjoy!