Spring Lamb with Oregano
Member recipe by strangeinplaces
This simple recipe is from Sicily and works well with very young spring lamb. The fresh sunny taste of the oregano is a perfect foil for the soft lamb.
- 1 Leg spring lamb, about 3.5kg, chump on
- Half litre olive oil, plus 4-5tbsp for browning
- 1 cup fresh oregano, chopped (this can be done, as can the shallots, very quickly in the processor)
- 1 cup finely chopped shallots
- Rock salt
- Mix together olive oil, oregano, shallots and salt. Rub all over leg. Put meat in a bowl and cover. Place in fridge or a cool place for 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 190C/170C Fan
- Heat olive oil in roasting tin and brown leg on all sides
- Roast in oven for 60-75 mins for pink meat, 90 minsÃÂ for better done (see website note on roasting times)
- Allow to rest in a warm place for 20-30 mins before carving
- Serve this joint in the Italian way, alone, preceding it with a risotto of spring vegetables (baby broad beans, artichokes and peas are a very good combination, and a lovely colour), but you may like to have a few Jersey Royals, smothered in unsalted butter and rock salt.