Member recipe by becky-wilson
- 225g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 225g Butter or margerine, at room temp.
- 225g Caster Sugar
- Grated rind of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp Vanilla essence
- 4 eggs
- Preheat oven to 170C/325F/Gas 3. Grease a 23 x 13 cm loaf tin
- With an electric mixer, cream the butter/margerine, adding the sugar 2 tablespoons at a time until light and fluffy. Stir in the lemon rind and the vanilla
- Add the eggs 1 at a time, along with a tablespoon of the flour, beating for 1 minute after each addition
- Sift over the flour and baking powder and stir until just combined.
- Pour the cake mixture into the tin and tap lightly. Bake until a metal skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 1 1/4 hours
- Allow to cool in the tin on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then turn out and allow to cool completely