Rich fruit wedding cake
- Preparation and cooking time
- Up to 6hrs to steep fruit
- Makes 1 cake (8 inch/25 cm)
Luxury fruited cake ideal for weddings and other celebrations!
- 1 tbsp Black treacle
- 260g Unrefined dark muscovado sugar
- 450g Raisins
- 480g Sultanas
- 360g Glacé cherries (halved)
- 250g Butter unsalted
- 550g Currants
- 5 Eggs
- 240g Plain white flour
- 225ml Brandy
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Cinnamon (ground)
- 1 tsp Nutmeg (ground)
- 1 tsp Cloves (ground)
- 1 tsp Mixed spice
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- STEP 1Wash the fruits and drain through a sieve. Tip into a bowl, and pour the brandy over the mixture. Leave to steep for up to 6 hours.
- STEP 2Grease and line a deep cake tin with non-stick baking paper or use a non-stick 8" cake tin.
- STEP 3Preheat the oven to 140°C (120°C fan, gas mark 1). Ensure all the ingredients are at room temperature.
- STEP 4Melt the butter and sugar together in a saucepan, stirring until well mixed, then pour into a mixing bowl.
- STEP 5Add the treacle and mix well, then add the eggs and mix again.
- STEP 6Sift in the flour, baking powder and spices and fold in well, then stir in the steeped fruit and remaining liquid and vanilla extract.
- STEP 7Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and bake until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Leave the cake to cool in the tin and turn out when cold.
- STEP 8To store wrap in a double layer of greaseproof paper and a layer of foil. Store at room temperature to mature for up to 6 weeks prior to the event. Once covered in marzipan and icing, this cake will keep for a further 6 months at room temperature. Alternatively, store in the freezer wrapped in a double layer of greaseproof paper and double layer of foil pretty much indefinitely.