- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 6
Basic tomato spaghetti recipe
- 100ml Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 x 400g cans crushed Italian tomatoes in juice
- 140g tomato paste, mixed with 1/2 cup hot water
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Italiano Parmesan for serving (if serving with pasta)
- 450g Spaghetti
- STEP 1In a medium sized frying pan, heat the Lupi extra virgin olive oil over moderate heat and add the onions and garlic. Fry gently, without browning, for about 10 minutes until the onion is soft.
- STEP 2Add the tomatoes and tomato paste and mix well. Simmer for 20 minutes until the mixture is thick and jammy. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- STEP 3If serving with pasta, toss the sauce through the hot pasta and serve immediately sprinkled with freshly grated Parmesan
- STEP 4Tips
- STEP 5- use plenty of extra virgin olive oil to slow cook the onion and garlic.
- STEP 6- cook the tomato sauce until thick and jammy.
- STEP 7- use a good quality canned whole peeled tomatoes in juice
- STEP 8- most importantly cook the sauce out slowly to insure the flavour is well developed
- STEP 9- allways keep your parmesan rind, great for flavouring oils and soups.
- STEP 10Serve with Garlic Bread, Salad and a good