Spinach and cheese pie
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 6
A lovely pie delicious hot or cold
- Bag of spinach leaves
- 250g tub of soft cheese
- 100g mature cheddar
2 medium eggs ( one is for glazing)
- A pack of chilled short crust pastry
- Handful of crushed walnuts
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- STEP 1Pre heat oven to gas mark 6.Rinse the spinach and cook briefly in the water that it holds. Drain well - I put it in a small colander with a dish on top with a set of old weights in. Get rid of as much liquid as possible.
- STEP 2In a bowl combine the soft cheese, grated cheddar. egg and spinach.
- STEP 3Add grated nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. Leave to cool slightly whilst you roll the pastry.
- STEP 4Put rolled pastry onto a 30cm enamel pie plate - I find that the pastry cooks better on these.
- STEP 5Add the filling. Use the second egg to brush round the edge before adding the top.
- STEP 6Crimp the edges to seal, glaze with beaten egg then sprinkle the crushed walnuts on top.
- STEP 7Bake for 30minutes until the top is golden.