Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- 20 mins prep, 20 mins cook. plus cooling time (around 60 mins)
- Serves 8
Two light & airy halves of sponge, sandwiching a layer of generously spread, chunky strawberry jam & home-made double cream. Finished off with lashings of the sweetest sugar. Just pure delight.
- Sponge -
- 175g butter/margerine
- 175g caster sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 175g self-raising flour
- Filling -
- 3 tbsp strawberry jam (hartley's with real fruit pieces is gorgeous!)
- 500ml double cream
- STEP 1Set the oven to 180C. Butter 2 sandwich tins with a 20cm diameter
- STEP 2Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, and then slowly add the beaten egg.
- STEP 3Fold in the sifted flour and spoon the mixture into the prepared cake tins
- STEP 4Bake for 20 minutes. Leave to cool and then remove from the tins
- STEP 5Whip the cream until thick and use it to fill the sponge with the jam
- STEP 6Dust liberally with icing sugar to serve