Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Beetroot and Ginger Chutney
- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes 5-6lb (2.2 - 2.7kg)
A tasty combination of earthy Beetroot and warming ginger Ideal for the cold winter months
- 3lb (1.3kg) beetroot ,cooked
- 1lb (450g) onions, chopped
- 2 pints (1.1 litres) vinegar
- 1lb (450g) cooking apples peeled & chopped
- 1lb (450g) seedless raisins or dates chopped
- 3 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1 tesspoon salt
- 2lb granulated sugar
- STEP 1Peel and cut the beetroot into cubes or mash well if a smoother chutney preferred.
- STEP 2Place onion in large preserving pan with a little vinegar , cook for a few min till onions soft. Add the apples, raisins or dates and continue cooking until pulpy.
- STEP 3Add the beetroot , ginger, salt and half the remaining vinegar . Simmer gently until thick.
- STEP 4Stir in sugar and remaining vinegar and cook until till thick again.
- STEP 5Pot into cooled , sterilised jars, seal with a vinegar proof lid & label . Store for 6-8 weeks before using .