Mexican bean stew with quinoa
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 5
Vegetarian take on the Mexican chicken stew with quinoa and beans
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 red peppers, deseeded and chopped into largish chunks
- 1 diced courgette
- 3-4 tbsp chipotle paste
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 400g can pinto beans, drained
- 1 x 400g can butter beans, drained
- 250g quinoa
- 2 vegetable stock cubes
- STEP 1Heat the oil in a deep frying pan and fry the onions, courgette and peppers for a few mins until softened.
- STEP 2Stir in the chipotle paste for a minute, followed by the tomatoes and beans. Add up to a tomato can-full of water to cover the vegetables and beans. Bring to a gentle simmer for 20 mins.
- STEP 3Once the stew is simmering, boil a pot of water with the two vegetable stock cubes and cook the quinoa for 15 minutes.