Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Veggie Sausage Casserole
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 4
Simple meat-free casserole recipe - from The Vegetarian Society
- 675g potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 30ml vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 cooking apple, cored and cubed
- 450g carrots, sliced
- 1 packet veggie sausages
- 275g chopped, tinned tomatoes
- 300ml vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- salt and pepper to taste
- STEP 1Put the potatoes into a pan of water and boil for 5 minutes (they need to be part-cooked only and still quite firm). Keep on one side.
- STEP 2Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the onion for 2 minutes. Add the garlic, bay leaf and thyme and fry for a further 2 minutes.
- STEP 3Add the apple, carrots and sausages and fry gently until the sausages are cooked.
- STEP 4Add the tomatoes, stock, tomato puree and potatoes. Bring to the boil and then simmer for about 15 minutes until the vegetables are cooked. Remember to remove the bay leaf before serving.
- STEP 5Season with salt and pepper and serve with crusty bread.