Harissa Chicken with Lentils
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
Super-healthy, spicy, succulent chicken one-pot
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil e.g. groundnut oil or olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped or sliced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 50g harissa paste (I recommend Al Fez)
- 460g chicken thigh fillets, chopped into bite-size chunks
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 200g dried lentilles vertes or puy lentils
- 2 x 400g tinned chopped tomatoes
- Vegetable stock or water
- STEP 1Heat the oil in a large pan. Fry the onion and garlic on a low heat for 5-6 minutes until softened and translucent.
- STEP 2Add the harissa paste and cook for 1 minute.
- STEP 3Add the chicken and cook on a slightly higher heat for 3-4 minutes until browned.
- STEP 4Stir in the carrot and cook for 2 minutes.
- STEP 5Stir in the lentils and tinned tomatoes then add enough stock or water to bring the liquid level up to the top of the ingredients.
- STEP 6Reduce the heat and cook for 25-30 minutes until the lentils are tender and the chicken thoroughly cooked.