Victoria Sponge Cake
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- More effort
- Serves 6
A large and full filling victoria sponge with a delicious texture and taste.
- knob of butter, melted
- 225g/8oz butter, softened
- 225g/8oz caster sugar
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 225g/8oz self-raising flour, sifted (you may need a bit extra)
For the filling
- 6 tbsp good-quality strawberry jam
- 300ml fl oz double cream, lightly whipped
- To serve,
Icing sugar, for dusting
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- STEP 1Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- STEP 2Gently heat the butter in a pan and brush two 6in-7in/15cm-17.5cm cake tins with the melted butter. Line the bottom of the two cake tins with a circle of greaseproof paper.
- STEP 3In a large bowl, cream together the butter
- STEP 4and sugar until pale and creamy,
- STEP 5using an electric whisk or a wooden spoon.
- STEP 6Beat well to get lots of air into
- STEP 7the mixture (this should take a couple of minutes).
- STEP 8Beat in the eggs one at a time. Add a tablespoon
- STEP 9of flour if the mixture curdles.
- STEP 10Fold in the flour using a large metal spoon. Be
- STEP 11careful not to over-mix it.
- STEP 12Pour the mixture equally between the two cake
- STEP 13tins and level off the top with a spatula.
- STEP 14Make a slight dip in the centre with the tip of the
- STEP 15spatula if you don't want them to be
- STEP 16pointed in the middle.
- STEP 17Place in the oven and bake for about 20 minutes
- STEP 18or until the cakes spring back when pressed gently
- STEP 19with a finger and are pale golden in colour.
- STEP 20Remove from the tins after about 5-10 minutes and
- STEP 21cool on a wire rack for about 30 minutes.