Chocolate fudge cake
Member recipe by robyncorduff
This cake is a perfect cake for a birthday or any occasion, it is best served when you have left in the fridge overnight.
- 175g butter,softened plus extra for greasing
- 175g golden caster sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3tbsp golden syrup
- 40g ground almonds/40g desicated coconut/zest of 1 orange
- 175g self-raising flour
- pinch of salt
- 40g cocoa powder
- For the icing
- 225g plain chocolate broken into pieces
- 55g dark muscovado sugar
- 225g butter diced
- 5 tbsp evaporated milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C. Grease and line two 20cm sandwich tins.
- For the icing place the ingredients in a saucepan. Heat gently, stirring constantly, until melted.( It may seperate but if this does happen keep stirring until it goes through.)
- Pour into a bowl and leave to cool, cover and chill for 1 hour in the fridge or until spreadable.
- for the cake, place the butter and sugar in a bowl and Beat together until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs. Stir in the golden syrup and almonds.
- Sift in the flour, salt and cocoa powder into a seperate bowl and gently mix together. Then fold into the mixture. Add a little water or milk if necessary to make a dropping consistency.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tins and bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 mins or until springy to the touch and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Cool in the tins for 5 minutes then turn out on a wire rack to cool completely.
- When the cakes are completely cool sandwich the cakes together with the icing, spread the remaining icing over the tops and on the sides with a palette knife swirling it to give it a frosted appeareance. Cut into slices and serve!